Whooping Crane Outreach Coordinator – Texas
The International Crane Foundation (ICF) is looking for a community oriented team member to provide outreach on conservation efforts for the endangered Whooping Crane in Texas. The position is a full-time employment opportunity. The Coordinator will be leading efforts in Texas (based in Aransas area) to educate residents on the conservation efforts used to protect Whooping Cranes.
Over the past 40 years, ICF has grown from the dream of two college students to a world-renowned conservation effort to save the world’s cranes and the flyways, habitats and ecosystems on which they depend. This program assistant will administer an important education and outreach program in an area where these endangered birds winter and have historically faced not only habitat based challenges, but increasing threats from illegal and accidental shootings.
What is it like to work at ICF? Prepare to be surrounded by people who are passionate for our mission, dedicated to the organization and engaged with their fellow staff and associates. Our ICF team is committed to fulfilling the dream that started 40+ years ago. This position is open to all, but preferably, those who want to further their knowledge of conservation of endangered cranes. Does that sound like you?
POSITION BACKGROUND AND SUMMARY:
The Whooping Crane Outreach Coordinator supports the mission of the International Crane Foundation by providing the leadership of initiatives necessary to preserve and grow the Aransas/Wood Buffalo population of Whooping Cranes. The effort involves engaging individuals and conservation partners willing to assist with the awareness and protection of Whooping Cranes.
The Coordinator will work with individuals and groups to develop awareness and caring for Whooping Cranes and develop their commitment to safeguard Whooping Cranes in their areas.
The Coordinator will form appropriate partnerships that include involving hunters, landowners and other citizens in monitoring and keeping “watch” over the Whooping Cranes in their areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and coordinate Whooping Crane awareness initiatives and materials and evaluate the impact.
- Identify needs and gaps in the initiatives and make adjustments necessary for effectiveness. Build partnerships and support.
- Communicate information about Whooping Cranes and why their protection is important in writing and by conducting presentations to school groups, civic organizations, hunting groups and birding/conservation clubs.
- Identify and engage community outreach agents to bridge gaps and develop a collaborative work plan that integrates ICF educational programs in urban and rural science classrooms. Coordinate outdoor events in the Texas Coastal Bend area with other ongoing programs.
- Engage with local communities, land trust organizations, and state and federal agencies on land protection awareness and advocacy.
- Work collaboratively with the ICF Senior Whooping Crane Scientist and Ecosystem Scientist in developing materials on land and water conservation strategies for stakeholder workshops and personal communications with private landowners.
- Work with outreach agents in communities to design and execute a Whooping Crane awareness and protection initiative.
- Develop annual work plans and budgets.
- Assist as requested to raise funding for the initiatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a biological field, communications, sociology, or other relevant field and preferably three years related experience.
- Demonstrated community leadership and ability to work with a diversity of stakeholders in communities.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate meetings and coordinate the actions of diverse groups of stakeholders using both in-person and remote access approaches.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including speaking clearly and persuasively to individuals and groups; listening effectively; responding well to questions from the public.
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to effectively draft correspondence and reports in a clear, concise, logical, and grammatically correct manner; and ability to vary writing style to meet the needs of the audience and media.
- Ability to develop new ideas or approaches to engage, educate, and inspire behavior change in community members.
- Ability to travel daily throughout Texas Central Bend area. During travel, work outside of normal business hours will be required.
- Valid state driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- Experience and comfort using word processing, spreadsheet, and power point software (MS Office) and internet search engines.
- Attention to detail and thoroughness.
- Ability to quickly, effectively, and continually adapt to changes in work duties, processes, and technologies.
- Work as a constructive member of a team, and commitment to the free sharing of information and technical expertise as needed.
- Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for others; inspire trust; and work with integrity.
- Experience working with volunteers to achieve desired results; delegate work; train and encourage skill development; access and provide feedback on individual performance.
- Experience and familiarity with Texas.
- Experience with cameras/photography.
- Experience working with youth audiences, educators and community leaders.
- Experience with grant writing or other forms of fund raising.
PHYSICAL ABILITIES AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be available to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Ability to use hands and fingers to type.
- Ability to lift or move up to 25 pounds; occasionally reaching, stooping and kneeling.
- Ability to walk and sit for reasonable periods of time.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to work outside a traditional office and in a variety of environments while traveling.
For more information, please visit our website at www.savingcranes.org
ICF offers a competitive salary.
To apply send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please list subject: Texas Outreach
The International Crane Foundation is an equal opportunity employer