The children of today are the decision-makers of tomorrow, and we need YOU to help ensure the success of Whoopers in the Hoosier State!
So, here is a list of the five most important things you can do to help save the Whooping Crane! Can you think of any more we should add?
1. Keep your distance! Stay 200 yards (2 football fields) away from Whooping Cranes in the wild.
2. Head up, Wings up…Back up! Observe Whooping Crane behavior. If they are alert and staring at you or their wings are up, you are disturbing them. Keep your distance.
3. Respect private property! Is the property private? Keep driving! Is the property public? Park in a designated parking area and keep your distance.
4. Save their tomorrow – Report today! If you see someone harassing, disturbing, or poaching Whooping Cranes call the Indiana Department of Natural Resources at 1-800-TIP-IDNR.
5. Save the cranes and the places they dance! Contact your local and state legislators asking them to support the protection and conservation of wetlands. Then vote to support those who do.
Get involved with local environmental groups to see what is already being done to help the Whoopers! Maybe you can help pick up trash or collect donations for the International Crane Foundation! Remember – YOU depend on the wetlands the Whoopers use too!
Fun Activities for Kids