We know you want that perfect picture of the rare Whooper. We do too! However, if capturing that picture involves someone else’s property you are doing more harm than you intend. Through a survey conducted by Purdue University, it was found that locals were often disturbed by the presence of avid bird lovers on their property. This causes a negative association with the presence of the birds, and we know that is not what you want! So here is a list of the five most important things you can do to help ensure the safety and continued success of Whooping Cranes in Hoosierland!
1. Keep your distance! Stay 200 yards (2 football fields) away from Whooping Cranes in the wild.
2. Head up, Wings up…Back up! Observe Whooping Crane behavior. If they are alert and staring at you or their wings are up, you are disturbing them. Keep your distance.
3. Respect private property! Is the property private? Keep driving! Is the property public? Park in a designated parking area and keep your distance.
4. Save their tomorrow – Report today! If you see someone harassing, disturbing, or poaching Whooping Cranes call the Indiana Department of Natural Resources at 1-800-TIP-IDNR.
5. Save the cranes and the places they dance! Contact your local and state legislators asking them to support the protection and conservation of wetlands. Then vote to support those who do.