Gift Shop Associate – Part Time
Gift Shop Associate
Over the past 45 years, the International Crane Foundation has grown from the dream of two college students to a world-renowned conservation effort to save the world’s cranes and the flyways and habitats they frequent. Our Gift Shop Associate is a front line person greeting our guests who visit our site.
What is it like to work at the International Crane Foundation? Prepare to be surrounded by people who are passionate for our mission, dedicated to the organization and engaged with their fellow staff and associates. Our campus is located on 200+ acres of rolling prairie with trails. The Foundation operates a zoo that features all 15 of the world’s cranes.
The Gift Shop Associate position supports the mission of the International Crane Foundation by maintaining exceptional customer service and selling branded, proprietary, educational, fair trade and environmentally-friendly merchandise in its retail location at the Foundation’s headquarters in Baraboo, Wisconsin. This is a “generalist” sales associate position requiring skills in customer service, selling merchandise, accepting payments, calculating discounts/taxes/total bills, displaying merchandise, cleaning the retail store, and building membership support. The Gift Shop Associate supports the daily operations of the retail store and assists the Gift Shop Manager in creating a welcoming and engaging environment for members and guests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create a customer service experience and retail atmosphere to best promote the International Crane Foundation mission.
- Stocks shelves, counters, or tables with merchandise as directed by Gift Shop Manager.
- Sets up advertising displays or arranges merchandise on counters or tables to promote sales as directed by Gift Shop Manager.
- Stamps, marks or tags price on merchandise as directed by Gift Shop Manager.
- Answers customer’s questions concerning the International Crane Foundation’s mission, conservation work, membership, location, price and use of the merchandise.
- Totals discounts, price and tax on merchandise purchased by the customer to determine bill.
- Accepts payment and makes change.
- Wraps or bags merchandise for customers.
- Cleans shelves, counters or tables and maintains the general upkeep of the retail store.
- Removes and records amount of cash in register at end of shift.
- Calculates sales discount to determine price for current members and guests.
- Additional job duties deemed necessary as directed by Gift Shop Manager.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains sales goals, membership quotas and conducts annual reviews with supervisor.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Ability to manage difficult or emotional customer situations; respond promptly to customer needs; and respond to requests for service and assistance.
- Work as a constructive member of a team, including the free sharing of information and technical expertise as needed.
- Demonstrated respect and sensitivity for others; inspire trust and work with integrity and ethically. Ability to engage diverse visitors to the Foundation.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including speaking clearly and persuasively to individuals and groups in positive or negative situations; listening effectively; responding well to questions from the general public.
- Written communication skills, including the ability to effectively draft correspondence in a clear, concise, logical and grammatically correct manner; and ability to vary writing style to meet the needs of the audience and media. Able to read and interpret written information.
- Knowledge of basic math including addition, subtraction, multiplication and calculating percentages.
- Flexibility to work the number and schedule of hours needed to accomplish regular and ad hoc job responsibilities. Consistently at work and on time and ensure work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Experience utilizing the basic features of Microsoft Word suites; Email, Internet.
- Contributes to profits and revenue.
- Attentive to detail and thoroughness.
- Ability to identify problems, collect, organize and analyze information, and make appropriate decisions or recommendations within the defined scope of responsibilities.
- Quickly, effectively and continually adapts to changes in work environment and duties, processes and technologies.
- Follows organizational policies and procedures and instructions, and responds to management direction and takes responsibility for own actions.
- Observes safety and security procedures.
- Commitment to the mission of the International Crane Foundation.
- Retail experience in a non-profit, museum, zoo or fair trade organization.
- Knowledge of POS software.
- One to two year’s experience in retail sales.
Physical Abilities and Work Environment:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to use hands and fingers to type, answer the phone and make phone calls.
- Ability to talk and hear.
- Ability to see and read documents and computer screen.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift or move up to 25 pounds.
- The work environment can be noisy at times.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please list subject: Gift shop
The International Crane Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.