Compliance Specialist – Finance
Reports To: Vice President – Chief Financial Officer (VP-CFO)
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Compliance Specialist supports the mission of the International Crane Foundation (ICF) by ensuring ICF’s compliance with federal, state, and international regulations and the reporting of such activities to the appropriate governmental entities. The incumbent will manage the portfolio of awards and payments to other organizations, including developing processes and procedures in order to accurately report ICF’s international activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure ICF accurately and timely reports to governmental entities regarding payments to international organizations and individuals as required.
- Review and recommend changes to proposed agreements with organizations or individuals that provide goods and/or services to ICF in order to mitigate risks to ICF, whether personnel, financial or compliance oriented.
- Maintain electronic filing system regarding financial assistance transactions and identify the relationship with ICF as to “grantee”, “provider of goods and services”, or “non-employee compensation” by payee. Additional information contains international financial commitments and payments, including but not limited to name, contact information, term, country, wire information, etc. and the monitoring of such to ensure the appropriate action is taken.
- Identify programmatic/financial risk analysis, including periodic oversight; oversight may include travel to ICF international locations on a limited basis.
- Train ICF employees and other recipients of ICF funds with respect to financial reporting and compliance with grant terms and conditions.
- Responsible for coordinating and researching ICF’s compliance/regulatory requirements in countries where ICF operates.
- Collect, retain, and communicate with appropriate ICF staff the information that is relevant to agreements to ensure that the information is readily accessible and is contemporaneous.
- Oversee foreign bank accounts, contracts and related transactions, ensuring adherence to contract terms and ensuring that documentation supports the transactions, while complying with domestic and international laws.
- Prepare and oversee financial policies and procedures to assure strong internal controls are in place and properly executed and that the Foundation is in compliance with Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), General Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP) and employs best practices in non-profit accounting. Monitors compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, Foundation procedures, as well as, government and foundation grant rules.
- Ensure compliance with any and all financial and contract reporting requirements for private or public funding, licensing, or regulatory agencies.
- Engage with the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors, in coordination with the VP-CFO, to report progress in compliance with federal, state, and international regulations, and other matters of relevance to the Board of Directors. Assist with annual financial audit; the annual tax preparation; and the budgetary process.
- Attend staff, department, finance, and Board Committee meetings as appropriate.
- Cross train in ICF finance positions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business.
- Four or more years’ accounting experience.
- Two or more years’ compliance experience with federal and state regulations and filings.
- Understanding of accounting practices, including FASB and GAAP.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of major accounting software packages.
- Excellent mathematical skills including probability and statistical inference and applying concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions.
- Good written communication skills, including the ability to effectively draft, proofread and edit reports in a clear, concise, logical, and grammatically-correct manner.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including speaking clearly and persuasively to individual and groups; listening effectively; responding well to questions from colleagues, Board members, and Auditors.
- Experience and comfort using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to establish project plans, regularly monitor and track progress on work projects, and ensure appropriate communications with project partners.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize work and to work with others to meet designated deadlines and desired results.
- Analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills, including the ability to identify problems, research and analyze issues from different perspectives, organize information, reach sound conclusions, and work cooperatively with others to develop and implement effective solutions.
- Attentive to detail and thoroughness.
- Flexibility to work the number and schedule of hours needed to accomplish regular and ad hoc job responsibilities.
- Tenacious and resilient, dealing effectively in pressure situations.
- Work as a constructive member of a team, including the free sharing of information and technical expertise as needed.
- Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for others; inspire trust; and work with integrity and ethically.
- Quickly, effectively, and continually adapt to changes in work environment and duties, processes, and technologies.
- Commitment to the mission of the International Crane Foundation.
- International Accounting and regulations experience.
- Non-profit accounting experience.
- Master’s in Business Administration or Accounting.
- Certified Public Accountant – CPA.
- Internal audit or risk assurance experience.
Physical Abilities and Work Environment:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to use hands and fingers to type.
- Ability to talk and hear.
- Ability to see and read documents and computer screen.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Office environment with a comfortable office climate and limited noise.
Compensation and Benefits: ICF offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
To Apply for this Position: Send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list subject: Compliance Specialist
The International Crane Foundation is an equal opportunity employer