Whooping Crane Chick Rearing Internship
The International Crane Foundation (ICF) is looking to fill four Whooping Crane Chick Rearing Internship positions for 2019.
Positions are between 6-8 months in duration pending funding; with preferred start dates in April.
Background: ICF is a leader in the conservation of the world’s 15 crane species and is dedicated to providing experience, knowledge and inspiration to involve people in resolving threats to cranes and the ecosystems vital to their long-term survival. ICF’s world headquarters is located just outside Baraboo, Wisconsin, one hour north of Madison. ICF participates in captive breeding and rearing of Whooping cranes for release in the two reintroduction programs.
Description: Whooping Crane Chick Rearing Interns will receive training and assist in the intensive care and management of raising endangered crane chicks, specifically Whooping Cranes for captivity and release. Primary duties include:
- Facilities set up, daily maintenance and end of year clean-up
- Following strict isolation chick rearing protocols at all times
- Maintaining equipment in good working order including costumes, boots, puppet heads, recorded brood calls, speakers, brood models, heaters, thermometers, fences and wooden dividers
- Daily cleaning of runs, carpets and food and water bowls.
- Providing clean, dry food and appropriate treats as learning opportunities for chicks to develop necessary foraging skills in runs and yards
- Providing fresh water in runs and yards
- Wearing costumes when interacting with chicks, encouraging them to eat, drink, forage and teaching crane life skills
- Remembering and recording chick behaviors, feeding sessions and management changes
- Caring for adult crane role models
- Weighing and recording chick weights
- Entering and reading daily records
- Expect to spend between 1-6+ hours wearing a costume while exercising and socializing chicks without talking
- Communicating with staff and other members of the team by participating in morning meetings, using whiteboards and daily log